Herb Roasted Turkey
Total Time: 4 hrs. 35 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 4 hrs.
Yield: 24 servings, 4 oz. each
- 1 (18 lb.) raw whole turkey
- 1½ tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 1½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1½ tsp. dried ground sage
- 1½ tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1½ tsp. dried basil leaves
- 6 cups low-sodium organic chicken (or turkey) broth, divided use
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 18 fresh marjoram sprigs, leaves removed and finely chopped, stems discarded
- 18 fresh parsley sprigs, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 2 medium carrots, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 2 medium celery stalks, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 2 medium leeks, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 garlic head, halved crosswise
1. Preheat oven to 450° F. Place rack in lowest position in oven.
2. Remove turkey neck and giblets from inside turkey; rinse turkey and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
3. Combine salt, pepper, thyme, sage, oregano, and basil in a small bowl; mix well.
4. Slide your hand under the skin of the turkey breast to loosen. Rub the pepper mixture inside turkey cavity, under skin, and on skin.
5. Pour ¼ cup broth into turkey cavity.
6. Combine ¾ cup broth and chopped garlic in a small bowl; pour over turkey.
7. Combine marjoram, parsley, onions, carrots, celery, and leeks in a large bowl; mix well. Place in turkey cavity with garlic head.
8. Tie turkey legs together with cooking string. Place turkey breast side up on cooking rack set in a large, heavy roasting pan. Pour 2 cups broth into bottom of roasting pan. Tent aluminum foil over turkey and sides of the pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
9. Reduce heat to 325° F. Bake for an additional 3 to 3½ hours, basting with remaining 3 cups broth and pan juices every 20 minutes. Remove aluminum foil after 2½ hours. Bake until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh reads 180° F, and juices run clear.
10. Let sit for 20 minutes before carving. Discard skin before serving.